Monday 8 October 2012

Doctor, Doctor! What Have I Got?

Sick Woman, 1665, by Jan Steen
The bearded Doctor in his ruff was often known for being tough
but when the lady Arabella needed help from a medical fellow*
he was the one who came to mind, for she knew he could be kind.
He felt her pulse, prescribed a potion, and gave her a flagon of rub in lotion.

With herbs and simples, carefully mixed, the patient's ailment was easily fixed.
But Doc was nothing if not astute, and, noticing her handsome lute,
he said" Dear madam, if you please, while I relax and take my ease
within your curtained, poster bed, could you sooth my head instead?"

So he promoted her to Nurse! He'd cleverly made their roles reverse.
His plea "I've a headache. Help me, quick! Now I'm the one who's feeling sick!"
brought out her caring, gentle side and his wish was not denied,
for Arabella spent the night playing her lute for his delight...

* pronounce as 'fella', please!

See more medical matters at the Mag 138 this week.

 

16 comments:

  1. Ah, you turned it around on us and made me smile. What a foxy fella, your doctor is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her lute? It should have been his lute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Love it ... nothing like a funny take on a dire scene ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever take on the prompt...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that about sums it up I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how much story you got out of what was in the painting--and I love how this all feels tongue in cheek--

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best cure in the world - being needed! Nice one Cad. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Changing places ... smart guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever! I was wondering when the lute would make its appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great response to the prompt

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the idea of a role reversal; playing her lute takes on quite a different meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very enjoyable Magpie. She can play her lute for me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed your twist of fate on this cleverly rhymed poem, Cad. Well done! Thank you so much for sharing! =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like doctors who want to be my patient...

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha! A mighty clever man... she probably played more than the flute!

    ReplyDelete