Sunday 15 April 2012

Who's A Lounge Lizard?

Debatable question, I'd have said but Susie Clevenger's camera has certainly captured one here for Real Toads to admire...

...And I felt an immediate kinship with him. 

This lizard's neck looks a bit wobbly
and his digits somewhat knobbly.
His skin's the colour of the soil
in my garden, where I toil
and try to keep my muscles trim...

Help! Am I turning into him?

I have lost the youthful tension
in body parts which I'll not mention,
and years of working in the sun
have tanned my skin. My hair's begun
to resemble his thinning spikes...
a balding process no one likes.

But I'm no lounge lizard, for sure,
for I prefer the great outdoor
delights of trees 'n' plants 'n' flowers -
I can study them for hours,
perched upon some handy seat...
A gardener's life can be real sweet!

13 comments:

  1. Oh this was great fun! You are tops at humorous versification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humorous versification?
      It could rock the nation!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this!!! What a clever comparison. So much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nifty piece of verse, perfect for the lounging lizard prompt. I picked the iguana photo, too. Fun!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO enjoyed the rhythm and the rhyme of this and that you made him SO human! So fun, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed several times! Glad you have a nice perch to rest your gardener's bum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love how you made me smile. I would never have thought of "Lounge Lizard" coming from my photograph. Keep gardening my friend. I love the beauty of sun and earth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! I love the youthful tension lines, pretty vivid even for parts that remained unmentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big fan here of rhyme and meter....this was very cleverly done. Bravo! Vb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your sense of humor and love for the garden ~

    How sweet ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gardeners life is sweet indeed - best bit forward planning from the comfort of a seat.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete